The township of Maraqeh is located to the south of Tabriz and in the southern slopes of the Sahand mountains. The historical city of Maraqeh is 126 km. from the center of the province and has variable climate, such as in the higher areas being of mountainous type, and in the regions around the Orumieh lake being warm.
Throughout history, this city has been brought plenty of upheavals such as the battles of Babak Khorram Din against the Arabs. In the year 628 AH., when it fell into the hands of the Mongols, in the year 656 AH. become the center of command under Hollakoo Khan Mongol. The remains of the famous observatory which is reputed in the world stands here from these times.
Five tomb towers dating from the 12th to the 14th century are the most notable monuments in the town; the earliest, the Sorkh Tomb (1147), is one of the finest examples of brickwork in Iran. West of the town are traces of an observatory (1259). The local building stone, known as Marāgheh marble, is of mainly yellow, pink, greenish, or milk-white colour, streaked with red and green veins; it is quarried mainly at Dehkhvaregan (Azar Shahr).